Zipwhip’s Windows 8 App

The Windows 8 App Store is the first of its kind for Microsoft. It’s brand new, and as of this week we officially became part of it. As a company we felt it was extremely important to get into the store as soon as possible to ensure visibility and solid placement. Being available to early adopters with our app near the top of the Social category was a key part of our strategy.

Your homework has to be done before submitting an app to the Windows 8 store. Microsoft is one of the biggest companies in the world and their app store application process reflects that (lots of rules!). To ensure that we were accepted in a timely fashion we went native so to speak. We wanted our user interface to completely mimic the “Metro” style design of this new operating system. Tiles, notifications, and touch gestures? Check. Pin-to-start functionality? Check. The ability to share incoming MMS to SkyDrive, email, and other apps? Checkmate. These features make our app feel tailor-made for Windows 8. They’re also driving our ranking and installs up.

Like it or not, Windows 8 is going to be huge! With over 80% of the operating system market locked down (netmarketshare.com) millions of users are going to be flooding the store looking for apps that will benefit their lives. Being at the front of the class in this marketplace helps ensure our app will get the market recognition it deserves. Data shows that a majority of Android users use the Windows OS on their computers, which makes our total available market gigantic. All you need to use this app is an Android powered smartphone with an SMS plan. You don’t need a Windows phone. I repeat, you do not need a Windows phone.

So go be the first kid on the block with this new app and let us know what you think. Our VP of Product, Anthony Riemma, took a minute out of his day to give a quick overview of the app in the above video. Thanks Anthony!

In addition to the video, there are a few screenshots below so you can see what our app looks like in it’s new home. We’re thrilled to be part of the Windows family! Microsoft – you done good :)

Windows 8 log-in screen.

Zipwhip running inside Windows 8

Zipwhip’s placement inside the Social category of the app store (2 of 87)

16 Responses to Zipwhip’s Windows 8 App

1. Dean Park says:

I see lots about Zipwhip, except the iOS version (which I’m using right now). Please post more information. I can’t get the sound notifications to work and that’s all that’s keeping Zipwhip from being perfect.

I use it on my PC, my Android phone and my iPad, but I really need the sound notifications to work.

Thanks for this wonderful app.

Dean Park
    St. Louis, Mo. USA

2. Lee says:

I just started using the windows 8 app but it only seems to display toast notifications within the application itself.. which kind of defeats the point of a notification. Other apps such as Mail behave as expected (I receive notifications even while on the desktop or while another metro app is full screen). Other than that, I really enjoy using the new metro app!

• zipwhip says:

Hi Lee,

Thanks for checking out the Windows 8 app. There should absolutely be a notification bar outside of the app when you receive a message. We have a video on our facebook page right now showing this feature in action: http://www.facebook.com/zipwhip. If you’d like to send over your phone number and a short email to support@zipwhip.com I can dive into your account and see if everything is working properly for you.

Also, if you don’t mind writing us a quick review in the Windows 8 store, that would be greatly appreciated. We rely on the reviews to help us spread the word about our app. Can you do that? Have a great day.

-Kelsey

3. Christopher says:

I can’t even access the windows 8 app at all. Keeps telling me my phone or password is wrong but I can from the browser.

4. Lincoln says:

The zipwhip app is incredible. Bold company and looking forward to new posts.

5. Joey says:

With the nature of the mobile app and how locked down Windows Phone 7/8 is, we’ll probably never see the zipwhip mobile app for Windows Phone. But we can dream can’t we? My new Nokia Lumia 920 and ASUS Windows 8 tablet want to see zipwhip on Windows Phone too!

6. Steve says:

The Zipwhip system is great, and I am greatly enjoying using the Voice Recognition software in Windows 8 with it! However; and perhaps I’m just anal, but I find that there will occasionally be a rogue notification that I can not clear out. It shows the message image icon on the live tile and my lock screen, but there is no message associated with the notification and I can not clear it out. The first time it cleared itself after I deleted my most recent conversation, but this most recent time, that has not worked. Perhaps it will eventually time out, only time will tell.

I would have posted that fact elsewhere, but I found no official support page for the Windows 8 app. Thanks again for the great software!

• zipwhip says:

Thanks for the heads-up Steve. We’ll look into that issue. -Kelsey

• Steve says:

Thank you! In an update, It does seem to clear itself given enough time. Though I haven’t done my own thorough testing, a new message seems to give the app an opportunity to update the notifications. All is well that ends well; but the phantom notification does occur often enough. Thanks again!

7. I am so impressed with zipwhip, I too have a Lumia 920 as well as a Samsung galaxy note 2. As much as I love the windows 8 phone..I will have to go back to my galaxy because there is no windows 8 phone zipwhip. Love zipwhip so much. Thank you clever people…

8. I should say. A. I am based in Sydney Australia. I use a Sony Vaio Touch Tap 20 inch (office) Surface RT 64gb Portable. Question, I cannot load a user pic? Is there a step I am missinng?
    Regards, Michael

• zipwhip says:

Hi Michael, there’s a drop-down arrow that you can click in the upper right-hand corner of your screen. Click that and select “edit-profile.” Thanks. -Kelsey

9. Brian Heller says:

Is there a zipwhip app for windows 8 phone? I can’t find it.